Welcome to this new website. The site is still under construction, so there may be some technical issues and there isn’t much content yet. I am working on the site all the time, so things should improve quickly. Thanks for your patience.
In the meantime, check out:
- BLOG Latest news about the site, news and events.
- INFO A general page with useful information and a password protected page for downloads.
- CONTACT Contact details and a way for you to get in touch.
First a little background. I have spent forty years walking the hills, fields and coast of north east Engalnd, and I often take groups of people out to see the landscape and geology. I also have an interest in geodiversity, which is the latest buzzword for protecting our geological and landscape heritage. All of which raises some interesting questions: where are the best places to go? How would you find out where to visit?
I hope to build this site into a comprehensive resource of all the best geological sites in north east England. It will be a long job, but I shall take it one site at a time.
- My particular interest lies with sediments formed within the last few million years – a geological period known as the Quaternary. Sites from this period can be found by clicking on the menu button labelled DRIFT. There is also an exlanation, of the button’s label.
- Everthying else, including older rocks, can be found under the menu button labelled SOLID.
- The right-hand sidebar allows you to search by PLACE, or by the site’s description or TAG, or do a text based SEARCH of the site.
- Shortened site descriptions will be released on the blog. These will link to the full site description pages.
- If you would like to comment on blog entries or the sites themselves, you will need to register for the site. Please in touch via the CONTACT page.